Dust and dirt can accelerate the ageing process of your convertible softtop. However, if regular care is provided, your convertible top will repay you with a long working life.
Sure, car washes and aggressive cleaning agents do provide short-term benefits but in the long run they attack the substance of a convertible top.
To understand how you can clean and maintain your convertible top, it is crucial to first understand why these convertible tops are extremely susceptible to wear and tear.
- Convertible top fabric cannot be polished or waxed. Wherever the roof fold together, there is a lot of friction that is created when fabric makes contact with fabric – and always at the same points.
- The seam and material structure are also always under constant pressure. The material of most softtops is usually too brittle to be folded without suffering damage.
Fine dust and dirt that penetrates the fibers of the softtop can cause premature ageing. Thorough cleaning is required to prevent your convertible’s softtop from this invisible enemy. Automatic car washes have additives that can attack the protective proofing on convertible softtop.
Here are few ways in which you can clean and maintain your convertible top:
#1 Use a vacuum cleaner and a cloth brush
Professionals recommend starting the cleaning process with a vacuum cleaner. Alongside the vacuum, a cloth brush can be used. When doing this, two things should be kept in mind.
- Ensure that the bristles are not too hard. This will avoid excessive strain on the fibers.
- Brush strokes should always be with the grain.
#2 Use a cleaning agent
A cleaning agent specifically formulated for softtops can be used in case of heavy soiling. First, wash the roof with water and then rub the cleaning agent gently using a soft brush if necessary.
If you can give time to the cleaning agent so it can penetrate the fibers, the result will be even better. Once this is done, you can wash the softtop thoroughly with water and absorb any remaining moisture with a soft towel.
#3 Don’t’ use a High-Pressure Washer.
Although, high-pressure washers are extremely efficient for cleaning, they are not very suitable for softtops as they can subject the material to extremely high stress.
#4 Use a good proofing agent.
Convertible tops are extremely vulnerable to bird droppings. Most of these stains ban be brushed off when dry or removed using a sponge and cleaning agent. However, there are some stains that cannot be removed. To minimize the danger, use a good proofing agent that penetrates the fibrous structure and prevents any dust or dirt from clinging on to the fabric.
#5 How can you identify a freshly proofed softtop?
Freshly proofed softtops are easily identified as water runs off the surface rather than being absorbed by it.
Tips for Softtop Proofing
- The fabric top must be dry, clean and free from lint before the proofing agent is applied.
- Don’t perform proofing in strong sunshine.
- Don’t allow the product to accumulate on the fabric surface as this can quickly lead to stains that are hard to remove.
- If you’re using a spray can, ensure even distribution to prevent staining. It is best to apply the impregnating agent in a crisscross action.
Although, you can clean the softtop at home but to get exceptional results, it’s always best to get it done by a convertible specialist. We have a combined 65 years of experience and have comprehensive knowledge of all makes and models of cars.
We also provide Softtop Waterproofing services that can extend the life of your convertible top.